The University of Florida’s GatorWell Health Promotion Services, in collaboration with the Counseling and Wellness Center, created the UFlourish Social Marketing Campaign. This comprehensive social marketing campaign is funded by a three-year, $296,000 federal grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
The UFlourish Campaign
UF is a place where every Gator should feel like they can flourish. That’s why the Counseling and Wellness Center, in conjunction with Gatorwell, has embarked on a three year SAMHSA grant-funded campaign to help every Gator find their balance. The campaign aims to help students explore new ways of dealing with the stress of college life and empowers Gators to seek help when they need it. We also know how strong the Gator community is, and that’s why the campaign also seeks to empower students to encourage fellow Gators who are feeling burnt out or overwhelmed to seek help as well. Follow UFlourish on Facebook!
In a national survey of college students in fall 2013:
- 85% reported feeling overwhelmed in the past year
- 45% reported feeling hopeless at some point in the previous year
- 31% reported they had felt so depressed that it was difficult to function
According to the American College Health Association:
- Suicide has become the leading cause of death among college students
- Stress is the leading cause of decreased academic success
Counseling and Wellness Center
UF's Counseling and Wellness Center has great resources for:
All of these services are FREE of charge for enrolled UF students!
Check out these FREE apps from the Counseling and Wellness Center!
There are also many ways to reduce the stress you may be feeling. Here are just a few!
- A 30-minute workout
- Exercise can be as effective as antidepressants for treating depression
- Try this great aerobic workout
- 10-minutes of meditation or guided breathing
- 20-minutes of Yoga
- Mindfulness exercises
- Seeking help when you need it!
If you have a friend you are concerned about, participate in Kognito, a FREE online training simulation offered by the UF Counseling and Wellness Center to learn effective referral techniques and what questions to ask your friend.
If you would like more information on how you can get involved and help promote the UFlourish campaign please contact Sara Martin, Gatorwell Health Promotion Specialist.
If you are feeling out of balance and burnt out, here are a few resources on campus that can help you out:
Campus and Gainesville Community Resources
- Academic Advising
- Alachua County Crisis Center - (352) 264-6789
- Career Resource Center
- Counseling and Wellness Center
- Dean of Student’s Office
- Gatorwell’s Wellness Coaching
- Recreational Sports
- UF Disability Resource Center
- U Matter, We Care